Friday, March 7, 2014

Day 30.

My main tank is one month old! I've also taken down the miserable tank that I used for shrimp, and relocated the inhabitants (plants, guppies, rocks, etc) to the main tank and Swarley's tank.

Tank is definitely cycling since ammonia has gone down a lot, but nitrites and nitrates are shooting up. I'm doing 20% water changes at least once every two days, and when I'm not working I try to do them twice a day. My tap water has 0 ammonia, nitrites and nitrates which is great. The tank's pH is still stuck around 6.4 and I don't know why. Someone told me to add sodium bicarbonate but I'm a bit worried. It doesn't seem to be an issue though.

I lost 3 shrimp in the last week, including Rainer. Might be the water parameters causing it, but the other shrimp seem fine. Yesterday I spotted a shrimplet!


My 3 berried shrimp are all still berried though, so I have no idea where this shrimplet came from. Is it possible that shrimplets hatch separately?

My bladder snails are growing bigger too. I spotted a baby one so they must be reproducing. I don't see eggs though. They're not posing a huge problem right now other than blocking my view occasionally.

Glosso seems to be doing well and spreading. Red tiger lotus has grown its third leaf today. HC hasn't all melted, which is puzzling. I've only been dosing Excel whenever I do a water change. But I've changed my photoperiod to 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours at night.

I haven't mentioned the driftwood that I added about a week ago, too. I tied some Riccia on it with sewing thread and the snails and shrimp seem to love it. Had to weigh it down with a rock after boiling it. Looks okay though, and provide a nice hiding hole at the bottom.

Here are photos of the tank now!


No comments:

Post a Comment